Re: Traction Engines [Was: Re: What you mean Daimler's gone!!!! ]

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Traction Engines [Was: Re: What you mean Daimler's gone!!!! ]
From: tstrohma@theodolite.ae.calpoly.edu (Trevor Strohman)
Date: Tue, 17 May 94 14:09:43 PDT
Berry Kercheval writes:

> We even got to see them fire one up.  Yow! top speed a blistering 4 mph, but
> torque to pull redwood stumps![1]
>
>   --berry
>
> [1] If they *had* redwood trees on Jersey, which they don't.

Hmm.  I don't know about redwood trees in New Jersey, but the ones we
have in California have root systems no lower than 3 feet into the soil,
which is why they seem to be so heavily guarded.  One loses its balance
and falls over every once in a while.  Maybe New Jersey redwoods would
need the extra torque, but ours don't. :)

Just another piece of useless trivia to help you out in Trivial Pursuit. :)

-- Trevor Strohman, professional lurker