Carlisle Report: Short

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Carlisle Report: Short
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: 17 May 1994 14:32:38 -0500 (EST)
Hi,

I made it to Carlisle, PA last weekend for Fri. and Sat. (13 and 14-may). I
managed to finally meet George Haynes and Allan Costich who are other SOLers
from the Northeast US region (New York State and MA/NH areas respectively.)
It's always a pleasure to meet SOLers while on the road.

The flea market was pretty good this year, although I came up short on
finding a J-type overdrive transmission ;-(. My spies tell me that there were
only two to be found, and one was asking $1150. Sounds a little steep! I did
see several A type OD's, so if I had a TR3 or early TR4, I might have picked
up one of those!

At any rate, there was lots of nifty stuff, none of which was purchased by
yours truely, but nifty nonetheless.

I did see a couple of unusual cars in the flea market. One was a Sunbeam LeMans
that was either Grey or BRG (I can't remember.) It looked like a very nice
car, but I did not look it over too carefully. On the Sunbeam side, there
were at least two Tigers for sale (one of which I have seen at Carlisle the
last three years in a row!) There were several Alpines too. There were lots
of MGB's for sale, including two very nice MGB-GT's. I also saw several AH
3000's that were pricey but nice (>$18K asking price). And of course there
were lots of Triumphs, although there was only one Herald this year (as opposed
to three or four Heralds and a 2500 last year.) Two Triumphs worth noting were
a really nice GT6+ and a '79 Spitfire. Both cars had been worked over quite
nicely, but the asking price of the Spit was kind of high ($7500). The GT6+
was asking $6500, but I think the owner was anxious to sell. I thought long
and hard about that car, and I might even give the fellow a call...

I also saw a Mini-based Wollesly (sp?) Estate for sale. Really cute, IMHO.

The car show was pretty impressive on Sat, as I counted over 65 Triumphs
while waiting for a friend. That is a pretty good turnout, and more were
arriving the whole time I was there. I felt embarrased that my other New
England Triumph friends kept asking where my TR was (unfortunately, it was
back in Boston). Next year the TR is going to Carlisle, for sure. There were
also lots of MGs too.

Drove back to Boston, MA on Sat. afternoon, made the 400 miles in 7 hours.

Bye for now,
rml

Bob Lang                Room 11-221            | This space for rent.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |