Spitfire Di

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire Di
From: okane@cscns.com (Olin Kane)
Date: Wed, 18 May 1994 15:19:53 -0600 (MDT)
I have a '67 Spitfire Mk II that I've had a lot of trouble getting the
driveshaft (OK, propeller shaft) balanced. I've taken it to two different
drive train shops and had it balanced ($30 a pop) and it
still isn't right. I still get a noticeable vibration at around 50 MPH and
above (used to occur at 35 MPH and above). One shop welded on a couple of
weights and actually made it worse. The other shop simply cut off the
weights and said it was now OK. One shop also told me that it's very
important that there is no slop between the two drive shaft pieces.
They seem to think mine was OK but there is a little slop there.

Does anyone have any experience with this problem or any advice?

--
Olin Kane
Albuquerque