RE: Ignition Problems

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Ignition Problems
From: Rick Colombo <COLOMBO@fndcd.fnal.gov>
Date: Thu, 19 May 1994 10:44:42 -0500 (CDT)
>In any event, I removed all of the Crane stuff from the car and replaced
>the original
>pickup coil in the distributor, taking pains to arrange the wires so that
>the
>base plate could still rotate with the vacuum advance.  The entire process
>probably took less than 15 minutes.

>The car started immediately and, on a short test drive up to the grocery
>store

I too am amazed at how a simple waving of the hands can start an MGB.  Well
ok, so you have to remove everything electrical and reinstall it, but even
if you replace nothing, the car will start.  So what was wrong in the first
place?  Is it like a computer were stray hysteria currents are running
around where you have to remove the power to clear it up?

I have a 77 MGB and it won't start right now.  The problem is that the coil
is getting the lower voltage during cranking and the higher voltage
afterwards, this is the opposite of what it should be.   If I remove a bunch
of stuff and reassemble it, then it'll will probably work, but I'd like to
know what component is flaking out.  Does anyone know what makes the
high/low voltage flip back and forth?  The electrical stuff is too expensive
to just buy it to try it.

   _/_/_/_/  _/     _/    _/       _/        Rick Colombo colombo@fnal.gov
  _/        _/_/   _/   _/ _/     _/        Fermi National Accelerator Lab
 _/_/_/    _/  _/ _/  _/_/_/_/   _/        Of course I speak for: Fermilab,
_/        _/     _/  _/     _/  _/_/_/_/  Congress and the President...NOT!