Re: your mileage may vary

To: mfrankfo@nebula.tbe.com
Subject: Re: your mileage may vary
From: phile@stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Thu, 19 May 1994 10:39:43 -0500 (CDT)
mfrankfo@nebula.tbe.com

> I use English units, furlongs per Imperial gallon,
> not commie units like kilometer per litre!

Actually, Europeans don't use kilometer per litre, or at least the French
didn't when my brother lived over there.

Rather than the Yank mindset of "how far can I get on a gallon of gas?",
the Euro mindset seems to be "how much petrol will it take to get me where
I want to go?"

The accepted standard was litres per 100 kilometers.  Thus, the smaller
the number, the more frugal your vehicle is.

The conversion factor from mpg (nautical or statute miles?  US or Imperial
gallons?) to l/100Km is left as an exercise for the student.