Re>Spitfire driveshaft

To: "British Cars" <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re>Spitfire driveshaft
From: "Rob Reilly" <reilly@admail.fnal.gov>
Date: 19 May 1994 12:23:41 -0600
                       Subject:                               Time:12:05 PM
  OFFICE MEMO          Re>Spitfire driveshaft                 Date:5/19/94
Olin Kane wrote:
>I have a '67 Spitfire Mk II that I've had a lot of trouble getting the
driveshaft (OK, propeller shaft) balanced. I still get a noticeable vibration
at around 50 MPH and above (used to occur at 35 MPH and above).

And William Woodruff added:
>Also, is the face of transmission output flange parallel to the differential
input flange?  Poor alignment here can be caused by a number of things,
including bad engine mounts.  If they aren't parallel, the u-joints will wear
out quickly and can cause a vibration.

Now I add:
Yes, another way of putting it is the trans output shaft and diff input shaft
must be parallel, or close to it.
 Also check that your U-joints are in proper alignment with each other, that
is, that the two yoke ends of the driveshaft are co-planar, not twisted at some
angle. One degree of misalignment is probably permissable. A 90 degree twist
would be the worst case. Could you have assembled it off by one or two splines?
Or has it been welded up wrong?