Re: oil pressure questions

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: oil pressure questions
From: Dirk de Boer <dirk.deboer@usask.ca>
Date: Thu, 19 May 1994 13:03:58 -0600 (CST)
Gary_L._Falcon@learnlink.emory.edu writes

>Subject: Oil Pressure Questions
>
>I have a '76 MGB which, after 2 years of work, is now running (Hurrah!).
>When it starts, however, it takes 2-4 seconds before the oil pressure comes
>up.  Mind you, these are 2-4 very long seconds (the engine makes a nasty
>grinding noise until pressure is up).
>1.  Is this normal?
>2.  Is this common?  Has anybody else experienced this, and if so, how can
>it be fixed?
>3.  Is there a particular brand and/or weight of oil that might help?  A
>specific type of filter?
>4.  (Please don't take away my British-cars privliges and send me to
>Rec.auto for posting this question...)  Might Slick50 make any difference?
>(I'm almost too embarrassed to ask...)

Regarding your first question: this is definitely not normal. Grinding noises
indicate metal-to-metal contact and this is to be avoided. What is the oil
pressure once the engine runs? Your description of the problem is similar to
what you get when an oil filter drains when the engine is not running. When
you start the engine, the oil pump first has to fill up the oil filter before
sufficient
pressure can build up. Do you have an inverted type of oil filter, or one with a
missing backflow flap?

Regarding the Slick-50: There is probably no knowledgable person on the net
which favours it. Nevertheless, in his MGB restoration book, Lindsay Porter has
a little section on the advantages of Slick-50 (it's in the engine section). I
guess
Slick-50 paid part of the bills for the restoration :-).

Dirk "with a '66 MGB that won't reverse. Any pointers, anybody?" de Boer.