Leather Dyes/Slick 50

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Leather Dyes/Slick 50
From: Christopher Ball <triumph@io.org>
Date: Fri, 20 May 1994 10:28:09 -0400
DON MATHIS:

There are a number of good quality leather dye available, from Eastwood
for example. There are a lot of people with good and bad experience too,
but IMHO most of the bad events are sourced to not precleaning the
leather or using perished hardened leather and expecting miracles.

If you use a good precleaning solution to rid the leather of local oils
and  such, let it dry off, and then apply several coats of colour it will
weather fine. Old leather that is still supple is even more keen to
really soak in the dyes, and it works much better than most plastics will
when recoloured.

I know the leathers you mean and it'll be very nice if it's still
retained it's natural oils. Remember... it's a skin and like ours it must
be kept feed with conditioners. BUT ... not for two months after recolouring.

I did a back seat for a TR3 in old de Havilland leather for someone and
it's now three years old and looks good. Ut's brekaing in naturally and
not showing thorugh at all.

Hope that helps Don. Now a thousand people can flame me as an idiot who
knows nothing because they once ....

CB

--------------
DIRK DE BEOR (sp?)

Well to state that "no knowlegable person" would say anything is a
sweeping remark ! I would say that the more I learn the less I speak, and
the less I speak the more I learn. When I was 25 I thought I was an
expert on a number of topics. Now, three degrees and almost two decades
later I don't believe I know much about anything.

Anyway, to get to SLICK 50 I dont' know enough to really decide but I
have heard very convincing theories from both camps and know of several
very valuable engines which are running with it.

I view all these additives with a deep scorn at first but RED LINE WATER
WETTER has won me over  and I have to admit that the Spitfire just had a
SLICK 50 treatment as a test for this summer.

So, the only thing I can conclude for today it that I am not, by atleast
one person's definition, a knowledgable car guy.

Oh well, as we say in Canada, time to lighten up eh ?

Chris Ball