new acquisitions...

Subject: new acquisitions...
From: Gregory T Fieldson <fieldson@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu>
Date: Sun, 22 May 1994 22:46:23 -0400
Greetings,
  Clearly some weeks are better than others. I apparently have been
accumulating a lot of "bad" karma and was due a little bit of "positive"
action. I should lead a happy life if, like this week, my positives
comes in the form of automobiles or automobilia.

On Tuesday, the lump fairy delivered an MGB engine to me (block, sump,
head, no cam). Now I have no personal biases for or against any marques,
but this engine is my first piece of MG iron. (My chief criterion for
acquiring automobiles is cost, and all of the things I acquired this
week came at the best cost normally available, free.)

The serial number of this engine is: 18V585Z L2430.

Can any MGB afficionado tell me what vintage this engine is? Actually,
can anyone tell me anything at all about this engine?

Given my fiscal resources (that "bad" karma part...) I have no immediate
plans for this engine. In the longer run, I would be willing to pick up
a 'B with a dead motor or trade this block for TR7 or Spitfire gooides I
need. My psychotic dream, though, is to thumb my nose at MG and Triumph
purists simultaneously and build an All-British Hot Rod by performance
tuning this engine and dropping it in my '67 Spitfire.

For the curious, my other acquisitions were the arrival of a 2nd '75
Cadillac Sedan de Ville (a sublimely cool car), and the gift (or return)
of an '82 TransAm from my sister (I was the 1st driver of this car
('82-84) but my parents gave her the car when I left for college).

Now, if I could only find a permanent job...

Gregory Fieldson                        fieldson@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu
Department of Chemical Engineering  --  The Johns Hopkins University