Next air tool

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (britcars)
Subject: Next air tool
From: Paul Amaranth <amaranth@vela.acs.oakland.edu>
Date: Tue, 24 May 1994 09:01:55 -0400 (EDT)
Scott Fisher writes:
> With the car thus lifted off the pavement, it was relatively easy for
> me to get far enough under it to get to all the bellhousing bolts, and
> with the air wrench, they come off in five seconds each instead of five
> minutes each.  Unfortunately, the starter still has to be frobbed by
> hand -- or rather, I couldn't find a place from which I could get
> the impact butterfly to drive everything necessary to make it go.
> Maybe it's time for air tool #2, a small air ratchet.

When you go for this, let me put in a plug for Ingersol Rand's
'Knuckle Saver' ratchet.  It's like a regular air ratchet, but it
has an impact clutch in it.  When you exceed the torque rating (ie,
the bolt snugs up), the clutch lets go and your hand stays in place,
rather than being smashed against the engine, fender, clamps, brackets, etc.
My wife got it for me as a present one year and I immediately got rid
of my old air ratchet.  It's a brilliant idea and a really super tool.

I think they have it in 3/8 and 1/2 sizes (I have the 1/2).

Disclaimer: I don't work for Ingersol Rand, but sometimes I wish I did;
imagine what you could get with their employee discount!

--
Paul Amaranth  Manager User Services - office: (313) 370 4541 (also voicemail)
(internet)     amaranth@vela.acs.oakland.edu  |Best error message that wasn't