Oiling New Motor

To: cobra@cdc.hp.com
Subject: Oiling New Motor
From: GNH.Wbst207V@xerox.com
Date: Tue, 24 May 1994 05:56:35 PDT
Roland,
<... the "real pros" install pistons without any lubricant in the cylinders
so that the rings would seat better and faster.  I was kinda tempted to
give this a try but I chickened out and oiled the hell out of everything.
Anyone ever hear of or try this?>

Sure have.  But my machinist (has built hundreds of racing motors in 40
years) is just a bit more conservative and advised a light film of oil on the
cylinder walls - after honing them to the right roughness.
No oil on the pistons/rings, though!  The rough, almost dry cylinder walls
seat the rings in minutes. He further recommends running a new engine
at a fast idle (around 2,000 rpm) - varying the rpm somewhat - for about
an hour.   Then dump the oil and toss the filter and install new.  Retorque
the headbolts, adjust the valves again and and drive away.
The place to use globs of engine assembly lube is on the cam lobes and
lifters, where little or no wear is desired.

My personal experience is that this works.  A previous engine was built
with lots of oil on the cylinder walls and pistons/rings and the rings never
seated properly.  8 (

George Haynes
1965 TR4A, BRG, IRS, Surrey Top, Overdrive
1956 MGA, Dove Grey, live axle, soft top, Overdrive