Re: Troubles with Overdrive

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Troubles with Overdrive
From: doug@dsg128.nad.ford.com (Douglas Mitchell)
Date: Tue, 24 May 94 12:46:06 EDT
To: Chris K.

        Yes, I was refering to the operating valve, I am sorry, but I was
        trying to remember the names from my FIFO memory. I hadn't looked
        at the shop manual since ... I don't remember that either.

        Sorry about taking so long to reply, but just after I requested
        some hints, my wife had me open the boat. I covered it better than
        ever, at least the racoon thought so. What fine living quarters.
        Better the boat than the car though, the insurance is picking up
        the repairs.

        Anyway, I spent the weekend working on the grape. I drained the old
        Hypoid, and pulled the filter. I'm sure that I have cleaned it
        before, but it's been a long time. The metal filings that came out
        were definately clogging it up. I filled it with ATF as you suggested,
        and then went out for a drive. The shifting was a little harsh, as
        to be expected, but it shifted into and out of OD very well. Drained
        and recleaned the filter - no more filings. Everything seems to be
        working OK now.  Thanks.

        I don't think that there were that many OD's shipped, I know that
        in the Detroit Triumph Club, there is at most one other Spit with
        overdrive. Now TR's are a different story. I don't know if VTR
        has a record of how many cars were shipped with overdrive, but it
        would be interesting to find out.

Doug - I know I haven't ignored that filter that long - Mitchell