Flex-Hones

To: "British Cars" <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Flex-Hones
From: "Rob Reilly" <reilly@admail.fnal.gov>
Date: 24 May 1994 15:12:41 -0600
                       Subject:                               Time:2:41 PM
  OFFICE MEMO          Flex-Hones                             Date:5/24/94
Scott wrote:
>The good news is that there is no visible scoring or other damage on the
cylinder bores.
> the bores still have all the machining marks visible; I probably won't bother
with the dingle-ball hone, as it still looks fresh and new.

The real name for that tool is Flex-Hone, made by Brush Research Mfg. Co. of
Los Angeles (213-261-2193). I have a stack of literature from them. They have a
long list of satisfied OEM customers including Jaguar, Leyland, Caterpillar,
Case, Deere, and Perkins. Pages and pages of verbage amounting to a doctoral
dissertation about how to achieve the best surface finish on cylinder bores,
too much for me to type, but the gist of it seems to be that you want a
plateaued surface, mostly level with a few grooves in it for oil retention, but
no peaks sticking up above the plateau. Rigid hones give you cut, torn and
folded metal peaks on the surface (we're talking microinches here), which the
piston ring then has to break off. This is what breaking in or bedding in
really means. Using a flexhone does the same thing in a few seconds.
So I would use the flexhone even if you think the surface looks ok.
Naturally, I'm not connected with Brush Research, just impressed by their
literature and customer testimonies.
   *.........your oil consumption mileage may vary..........*