Re: O2 sensors and monitors

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: O2 sensors and monitors
From: James TenCate <jtc@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Wed, 25 May 1994 10:32:28 -0500 (CDT)
>I have a friend that makes and sells these same monitors for around $60.  If
>anyone is interested let me know and I'll put you in touch with him.  Jim
>TenCate has one I believe.

Yes, indeed.  It's a VERY nice little rectangular package.  It's essentially
a high impedance voltmeter with the O2 sensor output read by a bunch of
little LEDs.  Much better than the $40 2-inch round gauge sold by JCWhitney
for Cyberdyne.  Also, not nearly as expensive as any of the others and
just as good (IMHO).  Maybe Jon could offer us all a special SOL deal? :-)

Remember, the O2 sensor is pretty nonlinear, especially around
stoichometric.  You may find that your car is either running too
lean or too rich all the time.  I find that using the meter in my
TR8 (open loop) the meter is always swinging back and forth between too lean
and too rich.  The trick is to use you eyes and integrate over about
a week's driving to get the mix right.  BTW, when I plug in the feedback
circuit (I've got FI), the computer tweaks the mix constantly
and I get a nifty pendulum effect on the LEDs.  About once a second
at idle and about 6 to 10 at cruising speed.  No wonder the FI TR8s
run so clean! :-)

Jim