How to test turn signal flasher unit?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: How to test turn signal flasher unit?
From: Dirk de Boer <dirk.deboer@usask.ca>
Date: Wed, 25 May 1994 09:43:47 -0600 (CST)
I have a question for the electronically inclined: Can you test a turn signal
flasher unit (say a Lucas three prong for an early MGB) on a bench using
a 12 V power supply and a multimeter? If you can, how is it done?
Most manuals say: if the turn signals do not work check the bulbs, the wiring,
the ground, and the switch, and if everything is okay but it still does not
work replace the flasher. I was working on the car yesterday evening and it
occurred to me that checking the flasher (if it can be done) might be simpler
than lying on your back under the dashboard tracing green wires. I guess I'm
admitting that I checked everything, and that it all works but i still
don't have a turn signal. The only thing I can think of is a defective flasher,
which is nothing extraordinary.

Dirk