Re: Tab washers [was Re: Flex-Hones]

To: sfisher@megatest.com, jey@frame.com
Subject: Re: Tab washers [was Re: Flex-Hones]
From: sfisher@megatest.com (Scott Fisher)
Date: Wed, 25 May 1994 17:08:52 +0800
~ Loctite is removed by heating to break it down, so I don't think
~ it will work here.

If I can find a shop that has the high-temperature red stuff, I
might consider going with that.  I probably ought to have some
for other purposes, I suppose, but it sounds like I'm going to
go with safety-wire in this application.

~ I missed the first part of this thread, but if we're talking about
~ main cap bolts or rod bolts, proper torque should do it.  Carrol
~ Smith (of * to Win fame) says something to the effect of "properly
~ torqued bolts will never come out.  This works fine for cap and
~ rod bolts where you're damn sure to properly torque them, but not
~ so well in other places where you may forget."  He suggests either
~ Loctite or safety wire in those cases.

Connecting rod bolts are what we're discussing here.  I've ordered
new ones in spite of having been told that the old ones should be
reusable (they're specially hardened, or so I was told), and we
were discussing ways of keeping them from loosening up in the caps.
The general consensus seems to be to dump the tab washers and go
with a better solution such as safety wire or Belleville washers.

~ If you want to go with safety wire, I've got a safety wire drilling
~ jig which makes it a snap.

Thanks, but I've already lined one up.  I don't know whether it will
really buy me anything other than the warm feeling I will get motoring
down the road knowing that I safety-wired the rod bolts in my motor,
but maybe that's worth something. :-)