Tab washers [was Re: Flex-Hones]

To: sfisher@megatest.com
Subject: Tab washers [was Re: Flex-Hones]
From: jey@frame.com (Jeff Young)
Date: Wed, 25 May 94 15:36:09 PDT
   Date: Tue, 24 May 1994 17:33:11 +0800
   From: sfisher@megatest.com (Scott Fisher)

   Two votes for high-quality bolts (I'm getting brand new ones) and
   tightening them properly.  Sounds like the beginning of consensus.

I'll give that three votes.

   Any thoughts on thread-locker compounds such as the various ones
   made by Loctite?

Loctite is removed by heating to break it down, so I don't think
it will work here.

   ~ If the situation is really critical, safety  wire the bolts -
   ~ cheap peace of mind.

   Hmmm.  No, I don't think my drilling skills are up to making teeny
   holes through two adjacent flats on these bolts, which are 3/8"
   fine I think (that is, they use 9/16" sockets).  I might use some
   thread locking compound if anyone knows of one that will work inside
   an engine.

I missed the first part of this thread, but if we're talking about
main cap bolts or rod bolts, proper torque should do it.  Carrol
Smith (of * to Win fame) says something to the effect of "properly
torqued bolts will never come out.  This works fine for cap and
rod bolts where you're damn sure to properly torque them, but not
so well in other places where you may forget."  He suggests either
Loctite or safety wire in those cases.

If you want to go with safety wire, I've got a safety wire drilling
jig which makes it a snap.

   - --Scott

-- Jeff