Re: TR6 spring removal

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 spring removal
From: "Randell Jesup" <jesup@scala.scala.com>
Date: Thu, 26 May 94 14:22:33 EDT

someone else writes:
> The jack under the trunnion probably won't work - you'll end up lifting
> the car before compressing the spring long enough. And then when you
> loosen the inner pivot bracket bolts, what are you going to do when you
> want to line everything back up?

        When I redid my TR6 front a few years back, I used the jack-under-
the-springpan method, which I had always used with my Sprites (with Spridgets
it's trivial, there's no tension long before it can come out).  With the '6,
I was seriously paranoid when lowering the spring, but it turned out to be
not too hard.  However, putting it back together was a slow and annoying
process, trying to get things to line up - the nut/rod/plate-type compressor
would make things MUCH easier.

        Whether it's $40 (or whatever TRF charges) easier, I'm not sure -
but next time I go in there I think I'll build or buy one.

> OBTW, I highly recommend the urethane bushings from British Frame and
> Engine. The upper ones are a nuisance to put in (I'd probably buy the
> special tool next time, though we finally figured out how to duplicate
> it with several sockets and a long enough bolt) but I look forward to
> not ever having to do this particular job again.

        I think you mean lower bushings.  The uppers should be trivial.

        Randell Jesup, '70 TR6
(Note: I have a new job and new email address: Randell.Jesup@scala.com)