Re: TR6 spring removal

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 spring removal
From: DANIELS@LMSBV2.TAMU.EDU (Lee Daniels, Texas A&M University)
Date: Fri, 27 May 1994 15:22:38 -0500 (CDT)
>IMHO, the best way to take the front coil spring out of a Midget is the
>way it says in the book.

I'm not *sure*, but I think this thread started with a question about a
TR4.  On my TR6, I had the engine out when I got around to the front
suspension, and the "jack under the spring pan" definitely will NOT work in
that configuration since there isn't enough weight from the body to
compress the spring.  I don't know if the TR4 with engine in place would
work this way, either. I did as others have suggested: got a piece of 5/8"
threaded rod w/ nuts and washers (under $5 at the fastener store) and had a
machinist friend cut a small plate out of 1/4" steel to fit under the
spring pan.  This works beautifully, and I wasn't constantly scared that
something was going to slip and send springs and parts flying around the
garage.

Lee M. Daniels   Laboratory for Molecular Structure and Bonding   Texas A&M
daniels@lmsbvx.tamu.edu           (409) 845-3726         Fax (409) 845-9351