Free 'B Questions

To: <British-Cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Free 'B Questions
From: "POCHE@music.loyno.edu" <POCHE@MUSIC.LOYNO.EDU>
Date: Sun, 29 May 94 07:18:42 CDT
SendMail TO(BritCars) Subj(Free 'B Questions) File(MAY29941.oma)
BlackTiger Mailer - Msg Created 05-29-1994 .. 01:39:15
Some of you might remember a few months back I posted a note about
my getting a free MGB. Well, I got it today! And, remember that
old saying "you get what you pay for" well it's certainly true.

Now I need some net wisdom to help me decide if it's worth any
effort to try to bring this hunck of rusting metal back to life
or just strip off what few parts are remaining on it and junk the
rest.

Mostly it is what I had expected. One front fender is missing along
with the front bumper and the windscreen frame. From the back it
don't look all that bad! :-)

What I didn't expect was that the thing had held water and the
floorboards are completely gone and the seat frames are
just a puddle of red dust on the ground.

Is seems that the car is sort of a hybrid frame/unibody car
with what amounts to a conventional frame up front and unibody
construciton in the rear.

The main question is just how much does the floor play into the
unibody construction.  I can see that in the front part of the
floor it rotted away over the frame but the frame members themselves
look to be in pretty good shape. To the rear of the floor is just
a gaping hole. BUT< the side chanels (under the door and next to the
transmision tunnel) seem to be OK , and that seems to me to be the
major stuctural part of the unibody.

(I know I'm using "seems to " way too much ;-D)

Now I don't mind replacing the floor, I did just that on both my TR-3's
but they have a full frame under them so I wasn't too woried about the
floor being support.

What do you think?
Trash the whole thing or try to rubuild it?

If I do decide to rebuild I will need to find those missing bits
(fender, windscreen, seats etc.) I realize that it might just be
cheaper to buy another car but I'm taking this one step at a time
first thing is to decide if it is rebuildable and that begins with
is it structually sound I.E. The Floor?!?

One intersting note:
I found a coin on the floor of the car. It was a token from some amusement
place (the kind used in game machines). ON it was stamped
"No Cash Value"
Kinda' sums it all up!

Louis A. Poche' - Internet: POCHE@music.loyno.edu
                  Amateur Radio: KD5XE

Plagiarized from a fortune cookie--
Optimism: A cheerful frame of mind that enables a tea kettle to
          sing though in hot water up to its nose.

Disclaimer:
The above ranting is my own opinion  and is no way to be construed to be
in any way the sentiments, ideologies, or credos of my lovable employer!