Lurker Now Proud Parent of '70 midget

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Lurker Now Proud Parent of '70 midget
From: Curt Onstott <fungus@CSOS.ORST.EDU>
Date: Mon, 30 May 1994 21:47:29 -0700 (PDT)
Howdy all,

I've been lurking on the list for about two years now.  When I was
fifteen I had a '66 Spitfire.  At 18 I got a '78 B for the summer.  When
I went to college I had to downgrade to a Honda.  Yesterday, I saw an ad
for a Midget in the paper and the asking price matched the balance in my
checking account <grin>

At $1000, I expected a rusting hulk.  I rushed from Corvallis to Portland
(Oregon) to check it out.  The interior is in excellent shape.  There is
no rust (Except for some surface rust on the rear, where it had been
dinged.) The paint is faded and will buff out.  I offered $900 for it and
the seller gave it to me for that price.  It still hasn't sunk in yet.  I
usually see people trying to sell parts cars for this price!  The car is
almost completely original.  The engine and transmission are O.K.  The
brakes and clutch hydraulics need some work.

I have a few questions for my fellow midget owners.  The title says that
the car is a '70.  The VIN# is GAN5UA803096G.  Is it really a '70?

I've heard people mention square and round arched midgets.  What does
this mean?  Is one rarer than the other?  How do I tell what mine is?

Does anybody have any tips or advice?  What price is appropriate for this
car?

Thanks!

Curt Onstott