Re: dripping anti-freeze

To: escagate!smtpgate!jerryr@netcom.com, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: dripping anti-freeze
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 31 May 94 09:41:17 -0700
In message <2DE92551@smtpgate> Jerry Rau writes:

> Finally a warm sunny weekend. Drove the 66 MGB a bit yesterday. Walked
> outside this morning to find a big puddle of anti-freeze under the car.
> Further examination revealed that the drip was coming from a point on the
> front of the engine block directly behind the radiator fan. This seems odd
> to me, as I would have suspected the water pump. Any ideas as to what the
> cause / fix is?
>
> As a additional bit of background, the engine was rebuilt 1500 miles ago and
> at theat time the radiator was also overhauled, so I don't think there
> should be any issue with coolant flow.
>
> On a different note, I tried to remove the radiator cap and found it
> stuck.It's a pressurized cap.  I'm assuming it should be removed by pushing
> down and turning counter-clockwise. It's stuck and I'm stuck, since I don't
> know if there is even enough anti-freeze in the radiator now to drive.
>
> Thx.
>
> Jerry
>
> rau@escalade.com

Jerry you din't mention the kind of car, but most LBCs have the fan mounted
directly below the water pump.  There is normally a hole on the underside of the
pump right behind the pully.  If the water pump front seal goes out, this hole
will leak.  A lot of times it may not be obvious that the water is coming from
this hole.  You might check it.  it could be your fan just happens to be an
inocent land mark.

TeriAnn Wakeman        Large format photographers look at the world
twakeman@apple.com     upside down and backwards
LINK: TWAKEMAN
408-974-2344                         TR3A - TS75519L,
                       MGBGT - GHD4U149572G, Land Rover 109 - 164000561