Hot Diff -- Sanity Check

To: CRD::"british-cars @ autox.team.net"@lotus.com
Subject: Hot Diff -- Sanity Check
From: Steven_Jackson.LOTUS@CRD.lotus.com
Date: Tue, 31 May 94 12:56:14 EDT
Greetings:

I have simple question to ask of this generous group.  After a very fast run
(the 2500M has many distinguishing performance charms, a high top speed isn't
one of them, which is fine with me) from Limerock to home yesterday, Memorial
Day, in my '76 TVR 2500M, I had been thinking as I was driving about a friend's
comment on how typically hot the differential case got in his '77 Caterham
Super 7 after a run.  He said that it was really to hot to touch.  I don't
recall differentials getting this hot in my experience, but then I've never
tested to find out.  I know that many performance/racing cars are equipped with
differential coolers.

So I thought that when I got home I'd just check mine to see if it was also
running this hot.  After running for about 2.5 hrs, the differential case was
very hot to touch.  The halfshaft and pinion seals weep a bit slinging Redline
synthetic oil around, but fluid loss is tiny, and I'm very vigilant of the
fluid level, especially knowing that I'm loosing small amounts of fluid as I'm
driving.  Removing the diff and resealing it will happen soon, if only to keep
the underside of the car cleaner.

Question:  Is this heat typical of differentials?  This is, of course, a TR6
differential.  The transmission case was warm to the touch, but the
differential case was HOT.  The TR6 differential is a strong piece, especially
moving around a relatively light car like the TVR.  I know that the
differential has never been out of the car or otherwise mucked with, and the
car just turned 11K original miles, so it's pretty fresh.  I suspect everything
is fine.  I understand the kinds of loads the differential sees, and I expect
heat, just as a sanity check, how much heat?

Thanks for your responses,

- Steven Jackson
STEVEN_JACKSON.LOTUS.COM