vintage racing in Ohio, Wisconsin

To: jag-lovers@psy.uwa.edu.au
Subject: vintage racing in Ohio, Wisconsin
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 94 07:59:28 EDT
Fellow fiends and jag-o-philes:

In conversation with some local brit-car friends, and after consultation
with our calendar, I notice that the vintage car racing season (for those of
us who live within a half days drive of better than 20% of the world's fresh
water supply (Ok, so California has the best old sports car market, we have
the best water to wash them with and we do so unabashedly in our front
driveways!) is upon us.  Namely, Mid-Ohio in mid-june (at which MG is the
featured Marque as I recall), and Elkhart Lake in mid-july.  It ain't at all
clear that I will be able to make the Mid-Ohio event, but there is no
question I will be going to Wisconsin.  So, a few questions...

First off: any jag-lovers and/or SOLers planing on attending this event?
Perhaps we could all meet at some time/place?  I know nothing about the lay
of the course (except what I have seen on Indy car broadcasts), so someone
else who has been there might suggest an obvious and easy to find meeting
place?  Let's do it!

Second off: I will be taking the '67 E-type coupe.  No, the '63 B is not
going to be ready, not by a long shot I am affraid; I'll tell you about it
at the track.  Anyway, I'll be driving from Detroit, probably via Chicago.
What I am leading up to here is this: I haven't taken a really long trip in
this car and though I don't doubt its abilities to get me there and back I
am starting to think of what sorts of items I will want to take along with
me in order that I might be prepared for at least the usual sorts of
emergencies and roadside maintenance and car.  Needless to say, a fair set
of tools and a fair supply of vital fluids will be riding along in the back.
 Perhaps we could toss this back and forth a bit?  I guess what I am asking
is: apart from obvious things, like a set of wrenches, sockets, plugs, etc,
and oil, coolant, diff fluid, etc, what is suggested?  The car has a year
old set of hoses now.  New fan belt too.  Am I not thinking of some clever
and valuable items that I will only realize I need at some rest stop south
of the Indiana line?

Tentatively, I am going to caravan with some other brit and italian car
friends, so I will in that sense be taking the most valuable of items:
several passengers.

Cheers (and pass the sun tan lotion)!
Will Zehring
Department of Biochemistry
Wayne State University School of Medicine
540 East Canfield Avenue
Detroit, Michigan       48201

phone: (313) 577-4199
fax:      (313) 577-2765