We are what we make

To: @car.dis
Subject: We are what we make
From: cusack@gumby.msd.ray.com
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 94 19:37:22 EDT
Greg P. has hit on some funny engineering approaches that do seam to
characterize the people who produce them.  But I have to say that from
my experience the Germans do with ONE part what the Americans do with 5.
I often think about one part on my old 1983 BMW R65 bike that simultaneously
performed three functions.  It was a bolt that secured the transmission
cover to the housing, it was drilled through and occasionally leaked oil
(from an overfill?), and socked down the battery ground cable to the tranny.
It was a privilige to disassemble that bike, I could respect the thought
and foresight that went into it's assembly.

I would like to expand on another characteristic - reliability.  The German
cars break, but only when you figure they should, and where they should.
No surprises, and no hard feelings.  Itailian cars always break everywhere,
and since this has come to be expected, you just go get some wine and
spagetti and laugh.  American failures always seem completely avoidable if
SOMEBODY had just thought about it for a minute more before they delivered.
And British cars, well they really do have a bad rap.  Sure they break, but
by now they are all old, and that comes with the territory.  Their saving
grace is their simplicity.  Whole restorations can seem just one more small
project away.  As Cecil Kimber put it regarding M.G.'s, "it's the car
that needs you..."  And that is mutual.

Skip
Cusack@gumby.msd.ray.com
Groton, MA (508) 858-5492