It was just one of those days

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, fordnatics@freud.arc.nasa.gov
Subject: It was just one of those days
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 1994 14:52:23 -0700
Memorial Day I decided would be a good day to take care of more of the snake
chores I've been putting off.  I started things off with an oil change
but while I was peeping under the car I noticed a small puddle of what
appeared to be brake fluid near the rear wheel.  It was located suspiciously
close the areas of the brake light switch.  I pulled the right rear
wheel for a closer look; suspicion confirmed.  The switch and frame
member below were damp with fluid.  This was the switch I had replaced about
two weeks earlier.  Sigh.

First things first.  The switch has a pipe-thread so I gave another 3/4
turn; wiped everything clean and tested the seal by pressing on the
pedal.  It still leaked.  I tightened just a tad more and gave it
another try; same result.  My innate "feel" told me not to tighten any
more so I got the old switch out, cleaned it up and installed it.  No
leak this time!  And it seemed to work as well as the new one.

I had been really pleased with myself after finding a new switch at a
local auto parts store for a mere $4.  Guess you get what you pay for.
If anyone is interested in the brand, the box sez Standard, maker of
famous Blue Streak electrical components.

At this point I gave up on the snake and turned my attention to the mini
van which is my daily driver.  The oil change went without a hitch so I
decided to tackle the front brake pads.  I did the rear linings about a
year ago and had bought a set of pads for the front at the same time.
But the old pads looked like they had another 10-15k on them so I put it
off.

I had the left caliper off and the old pads out in under 10 minutes.
The disks looked good and I hadn't noticed any symptoms of warpage so I
decided to just put the new pads in.  I opened the box and pulled out
the replacements.  WRONG PADS.  And of course after a year I had
misplaced the receipt; not that it's likely I could have taken them back
after so much time had passed anyway.

Well, the old pads didn't really look too bad; at least another 5k, I
say, so I put them back in.  But I was still stuck with this set of
brand new pads and not a clue as to what they were for; so I boxed them
back up and took them to the place where I was pretty sure I had bought
them.  I had the parts guy look up what these pads fit and got the
correct set for my van while I was at it.  Probably I should have been
more POed and bought them elsewhere but it was partly my fault 'cuz a) I
hadn't checked them right way, b) I'd lost the receipt, c) they would
have exchanged them for the correct ones if it hadn't been for a and b;
and d) I didn't feel like driving anywhere else.

BTW, if you have an 1987-94 Ford Aerostar mini van in need of front
brake pads, I'll sell you a new still-in-the-box set for $10.

Roland Dudley
cobra@cdc.hp.com