Spitfire Clutch

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire Clutch
From: Anthony315@aol.com
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 94 21:58:15 EDT
 An update on my Spitfire Clutch. My problem was grinding when pushing the
clutch in and very hard to change gears, reverse could only be selected by
turning off engine and then selecting reverse.
As I found out after I had already removed my transmission, later 1500's are
also known for dropping the pivot pin out of the release arm. This allows the
arm end to slide about half an inch rearward til it bottoms on the back of
the bellhousing. I've got a roll pin and sleeve on order but according to the
archives this was one response to the same problem.
"Look at the bellhousing exactly 180 degrees from the slave cylinder. You'll
see the outside of a "pocket" were the release arm pivots. There is a 5/16"
vertical hole in it. There should be a roll pin through this hole. If not,
try to pry the release arm into position, and drop a 5/16 x 3 inch bolt in
from the top. Grade 8 if you can get it. I consider this a permenant fix. :>"

Anthony Bailey     '77 Triumph Spitfire 1500     MiddleBurg, FL
Anthony315@aol.com
baileya@cris.com