Re: Grond the Hammer

To: sfisher@megatest.com, british-cars@autox.team.net, lupienj@wal.hp.com
Subject: Re: Grond the Hammer
From: sfisher@megatest.com (Scott Fisher)
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 1994 09:57:43 +0800
~ The deafening silence at Scott's end of the line regarding his hammer
~ left me wondering if my memory had played me false. Then I found this,
~ which clinched it. Oh well, they always say that the memory is the
~ second thing to go...
~
~ The Silmarillion (J.R.R. Tolkein) identifies Grond as
~ "the Hammer of the Underworld", which was used by Morgoth
~ during the battle in which Fingolfin was vanquished.

Exactly so.  In addition, the battering ram used to knock down the
gates of Minas Tirith was named Grond, in honor of the original
Hammer of the Underworld.

Whether this is a good role model for a tool's name, I'm not sure.
(Kim had already taken Glamdring for her gardening mallet; that name
translates to Foe-hammer, and was -- oh, nevermind.  If you don't
already know you probably aren't interested. :-)

However, a festive and elegant five net.points to John Lupien!  As I
explained in an earlier net.points.contest, this plus $1.50 will buy
you a caffe latte at many fine establishments throughout the Bay Area...

--Scott "Why yes, as a matter of fact I *can* still write tengwar" Fisher