Re: "SOL Shirt" -- Please Translate

To: Bill_Rabel@dbug.org
Subject: Re: "SOL Shirt" -- Please Translate
From: pwv@tc.fluke.com (Pat Vilbrandt)
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 94 08:44:25 PDT
Greetings Bill,

Welcome to the list!

> Give me a break here. I'm new to this forum and I didn't get in at the start.
> I probably need an SOL shirt, but I'd better be able to tell people what it
> stands for.

Of course, that's one good thing about obscure abbreviations plastered across
the front of a T-shirt - it can stand for whatever you'd like it to stand for!
In our case, it stands for "Scions of Lucas."  (It used to stand for "Sons
of Lucas," but we're much more sensitive now.  ;^)  When I wear mine, my wife
Laurie, thinks it stands for "Slave of Laurie."

As for the design of the logo, well, Ed Devinney, the original creator said
it best:

> What does the SOL logo look like?  Well, it looks, well, like nothing else,
> except perhaps the Union Jack with some tools & car parts on it.
>
> No, scratch that.  Fade in "Rule, Britannia" and imagine my voice, only
> deeper and with better inflection:
>
>       "The SOL logo is an awe-inspiring figure of a crossed spanner and
>       connecting rod, rendered in rich carbon black, superimposed over
>       the ominous initials of our disorganization S O L, themselves
>       drawn in British Racing Green.  These devices are in turn placed
>       atop the flag of the Great Britain."
>
> It's tremendous, if I do say so myself.

There is a bit-map image of the logo on triumph.cs.utah.edu if you would like
to retrieve it.  Or I could send you an electronic or maybe even a paper copy.

> -Bill Rabel, Lotus Elan +2 S130, Lotus "squashed gremlin" Elite

Cheers,

   Pat Vilbrandt      Fluke Corporation      Everett, Washington USA
   pwv@tc.fluke.COM or: { uunet, uw-beaver, sun, microsoft }!fluke!pwv