Brake tech question

To: Racefab@pms706.pms.ford.com
Subject: Brake tech question
From: Greg Meboe <MEBOE@WSUVM1.CSC.WSU.EDU>
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 94 15:45:22 PDT

 Dear SOL'ers

  I've been thinking about designing a progressive brake system for my
car, and I would like some other opinions.  It's my street car, but with
wide tyres and near race spec brakes, it stops well.  The intent is to
produce a near even brake split at light pedal application, and a large
front bias at heavy pedal application.
  I'd connect the master cylinder pushrod to an adjustable lever arm actuating
a conventional pressure reducing valve. System variables would be:  Initial
and final brake bias settings, and Rate of bias increase.
  My question is, is there a proportioning valve that is actuated by a lever
arm, and would it be able to handle the cyclic bias changing I'm proposing?
     Am I completely off my rocker?  Should I just retrofit ABS?  Has anyone
else thought about this concept?

  The car is my 1967 Spit-6.

                Greg Meboe    MEBOE@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu
                Dept of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
                Washington State University