Triumph guy steals an MG; Names?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Triumph guy steals an MG; Names?
From: DANIELS@LMSBV2.TAMU.EDU (Lee Daniels, Texas A&M University)
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 1994 10:58:48 -0500 (CDT)
Hoo-boy, what have I gotten myself into!  I help a friend get his MGB
running so that he can sell it before moving, and guess who ends up buying
it?  After 5 Triumphs, what am I doing?  Oh, and I didn't "steal" it from
the seller: the stealth came about because fellow SOL'er Ray James had
already made an offer on it.  But the seller thought he should be able to
get more out of it, so we made a deal where I spend some money and time
making it more presentable, and if I can sell it for a profit, we split it.
OK,OK, I KNOW IT NEVER WORKS THIS WAY.  But the drivetrain and suspension
are in great shape, I'm just going to paint it and do a little interior
work.  (Stop it! I hear those snickers!)  Anyway, I'm in dire need of a
convertible to drive for a while since my TR6 project is taking longer than
planned.  ;-)

So all this talk of names prompts me to recall that my cars have always
been called things like "the Spitfire", "the Mazda", "the minivan", etc.
And my current TR6 is just "my car", as in "Honey, I'm going out to work on
my car".  Ahah!  Now there are *two* of them, so surely names will surface.
The TR6 continues to be patient in my efforts to revive him, so perhaps he
should be "Job".  (That's with a long "o" for the non-Biblical among you.)
Sorry, nothing about him seems feminine, being hairy-chested and all.

And for the first MG to join a Triumph family?  She still seems rather
foreign sitting out there in the driveway.  The feelings she exudes seem to
connote things like "adopted" and "step-daughter".  Perhaps "foster child".
But, just like children of those origins, I'm sure that the love will grow
in spite of the early feelings of rebellion.  Or maybe not...

Lee "Yes, dear, I'll still make progess on the TR6" Daniels

p.s.  I'm still giggling over all the "crumpet" banter.  Thanks for the
smiles!

Lee M. Daniels   Laboratory for Molecular Structure and Bonding   Texas A&M
daniels@lmsbvx.tamu.edu           (409) 845-3726         Fax (409) 845-9351