re: fixing TR7s?

To: tr8-request@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Subject: re: fixing TR7s?
From: whs70@cc.bellcore.com (sohl,william h)
Date: 9 Jun 1994 13:16 EDT
>From: James TenCate <jtc@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
>Date: Thu, 9 Jun 1994 09:37:01 -0500 (CDT)
>I'd be willing to bet that in a few more years there will be many
>places in the country where TR7 V6s and TR7 V8s will no longer
>be able to get registered :-(  Non original engine you know :-(

I'm not that pessimistic, although I (we) should remain vigilant
to oppose laws that would forclose engine swaps.  My understanding
of the situation is that an engine swap is OK if the new engine
is, emmissions wise, an upgraded/improvement over the prior
engine (i.e. putting in a 1980 Rover V8 in a 1980 or earlier
TR-7).  One of the helping hands here will certainly be the
hot rod folks who's auto hobby interests are heavily dependent
on engine swaps, etc.

That's why we (Brit car lovers) should really help get all collector
car people togeather to oppose outrageous laws which would seriously
impact our ownership and operation of the cars we love.

Another offsetting factor will likely be the eventual eligibility
of TR-7s as antiques (usually 25 years old in most states).  Here
in NJ an antique registered vehicle doesn't even need to go through
the state inspection because the use is very limited (shows,
club events, occasional drives, etc.)

>That will be a sad day.  I've always wanted to convert a TR7 to
>a TR7 V8 and I'll be willing to bet I won't be able to do it when
>I finally get the time and money...
>Sigh
>jim

Remember too that the older the cars get, the less likely the state
governemnets will have any reliable information to make comparisons
to.  Odds are they'll likely not care that much about cars that
are older than a certain year because there just won't be that many.
Still we must stay vigilant of any and all attempts to eliminate our
cars from the roadways.

Stay alert!
Bill Sohl (K2UNK) BELLCORE (Bell Communications Research, Inc.)
Morristown, NJ             email via UUCP      bcr!cc!whs70
201-829-2879 Weekdays      email via Internet  whs70@cc.bellcore.com