Re: fixing TR7s?

To: (~tr8), (~b-c)
Subject: Re: fixing TR7s?
From: whs70@cc.bellcore.com (sohl,william h)
Date: 9 Jun 1994 13:30 EDT
>From: jab@netrix.com
>
>> I'd be willing to bet that in a few more years there will be many
>> places in the country where TR7 V6s and TR7 V8s will no longer
>> be able to get registered :-(  Non original engine you know :-(
>> jim
>
>You may be right, Jim.  I'm wondering how the kit car industry fits
>into the new requirements for pollution control.  If the car is
>originally a Volkswagen or a Fiero, it would be easy to say that it
>should meet the original requirements as it was manufactured.  However,
>it is possible to buy a brand new tubular frame on which can be mounted
>some really neat fiberglas bodies.  How are these cars registered?
>Does anyone on the list have experience with kit cars?

I have a friend who did his own porsche speedster kit based on a
VW chassis.  The car is registered as the year of the vehicle
which contributed the title.  That seems to be the case for
all the other kit cars I've encountered too.

>We have emissions testing here in Northern VA at service stations
>that are licenced by the state.  The first place that I went to
>stuck to the book by the letter.  My TR7 has the air pump removed,
>so he wouldn't even test it.  I went to another place though, and
>he passed me after the tailpipe sniffer was satisfied.  There was
>to be state operated testing started in '95, but it has been
>deferred.  Probably due to the high cost of setting up the stations.

Here in NJ they only do the "sniff" test.  If the car passes
(requirements are graduated depending on the year of manufacture)
thats it.  If it fails, you must have it tuned, repaired or do
whatever it takes to get it to pass.  The ONLY thing they
visually verify is the presence of a Catalytic converter if
the car had one.  They never check under the hood.
That may change as NJ is also under federal mandate to improve
its inspection of emmissions, but the plan is in limbo at
the moment...the state doesn't want to have to do an extended
emmissions test on every vehicle.

>As a result, we are currently doing without Federal highway dollars.
>I don't expect that this will last since we need new roads badly in
>many parts of the state.  I expect that we will fall in line with the
>Federal emissions requirements.  I guess that the air pump will need
>to be replaced.  If anyone on the list has _any_ spare components
>of the system (brackets, check valve, air rail etc.) and would
>like to swing a deal, please let me know.

Air pumps can be made to look like they operate but really
do nothing.  If the car still passes the "sniff" test, what
difference does it make.

Standard Disclaimer- Any opinions, etc. are mine and NOT my employer's.
Bill Sohl (K2UNK) BELLCORE (Bell Communications Research, Inc.)
Morristown, NJ             email via UUCP      bcr!cc!whs70
201-829-2879 Weekdays      email via Internet  whs70@cc.bellcore.com