Re: Hot MGs and thermostats

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hot MGs and thermostats
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 1994 08:07:56 -0400
Will Zehring writes:

> Date: Thu, 9 Jun 94 08:59:23 EDT
> From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
> Subject: Hot MGs and thermostats

> Fellow fiends:

> Correct me if I'm wrong (sic), but doesn't the thermostat also help by
> *restricting* the flow of coolant, when the engine is hot?  That is,
> increasing the 'transit time' in the radiator so as to provide more time for
> heat exchange per volume of coolant flowing through?

Sorry, but you did ask for it...

In general, it is desirable to maximize the rate of flow through the
cooling system if the goal is to keep the engine as cool as possible.
Since the cooling system is a closed system (at least as it was
designed -- many LBCs don't quite cut the mustard in this respect...),
the rate of flow through the radiator and the engine must be the same,
or water must be exiting the system somewhere, or looping back around
into the radiator without passing through the engine.  A greater flow
of water will tend to stabilize the temperature throughout the system,
minimizing hot, or cool spots, and bringing the entire system as near
to equilibrium as possible.

> Will Zehring

--ken

Kenneth B. Streeter        | ARPA: streeter@sanders.com
Lockheed Sanders           | UUCP: ...!uunet!sanders.com!streeter
PTP2-A001                  |
65 River Road              | Voice: (603) 885-9604
Hudson, NH 03051           | Fax:   (603) 885-0631