Hot MGs and thermostats

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Hot MGs and thermostats
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 94 08:59:23 EDT
Fellow fiends:

Correct me if I'm wrong (sic), but doesn't the thermostat also help by
*restricting* the flow of coolant, when the engine is hot?  That is,
increasing the 'transit time' in the radiator so as to provide more time for
heat exchange per volume of coolant flowing through?  A mechanic friend of
mine says the Mercedes has a rather elaborate mechanism for doleing out
coolant to the radiator with that idea in mind; something involving lots of
electric valves and temperature senders; sounds rather Teutonic.

Not having a thermostat would have two effects:
-the engine would take longer to warm up at cold start and...
-the engine would run hotter once it did warm up!

I still vote for louvers in the hood.  Even if it doesn't work, I think it
would *look* cool! (hahahahahahahahaha)

Will "I have a Ph.D., but it ain't in thermostats (or comedy)" Zehring