Tachometer wiggle/squeak

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Tachometer wiggle/squeak
From: Jacob ben-David Zimmerman <zimerman@MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 94 08:28:56 EDT
Having skimmed over the discussion of tachometers a few days back, as that was
the one part which seemed to have never given me trouble, I am now of course
paying for my overconfidence. :-)  Amanda the TR6 recently came home from the
body shop (heeheeheehee) and since she now looks *stunning* she of course felt
that she needed to do something to remind me not to get cocky.  At least she
had the courtesy to pick something non-essential to my commute, if not my
pride. :-)  Anyway, the question- the tach works fine 95% of the time, but
every once in a while it starts jumping around in one of two ways- either a
regular wiggle or it starts dropping drastically and randomly before hopping
back up to what is apparently a correct reading.  WHen it does the latter, it
makes a noise that can best be described as a squeaking click with each dip.
Does the '70 TR6 have a mechanical tach? Is this just a cable/magnet problem
that I could probably fix by yanking it, checking out the insides and replacing
the cable?

-J.B. "Getting closer to getting his novice hands really dirty and yanking the
       engine...as soon as he finds a place to work" Zimmerman