brake tech

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: brake tech
From: gerry@hostel.lincroftnj.ncr.com
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 94 09:11 EDT
TO: Greg Meboe <MEBOE@WSUVM1.CSC.WSU.EDU>
Subject:      Brake tech question

> I've been thinking about designing a progressive brake system for my
> car, and I would like some other opinions.  It's my street car, but with

Do what VW has done on its Golf/Jetta models (maybe others). They installed
a proportioning valve on the rear brake lines which is actuated by a rod/spring
mechanisim which is connected to between the beam axle and the body.

When you brake gently, there is little front-end dive, so the prop valve
remains open and the rear brakes get fluid. If you stomp on the brakes the
rear of the car raises and the proportioning valve closes (progressivly),
thereby reducing pressure to the rear brakes and reducing rear brake lock up.

The setup on the VW is adjustable, so you can play aroung with the brake bias.
This is great for Pro-rallying, as I can have basically full-rear brakes
or no-rear brakes, depending on the conditions. If you look at the VW mechanism,
it is built in such a way, that you can install a cable to the valve and run
it into the cockpit, giving you the feature of being able to adjust the brake
bias inside the car and while driving.

I think this valve would adapt very easily to any Brit car (you would have
to change the brake line flares though). The Vlave would be attached to the body
of the car, with a rod connecting to the back axle.

Gerry