RE: Touring

To: British-Cars@Autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Touring
From: Greg Meboe <MEBOE@WSUVM1.CSC.WSU.EDU>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 94 16:26:34 PDT
While no expert, I have run a few tours, and I can give you a few pointers
to help it go off better.

1.  Have a Driver's Huddle at the end of each mini-stop.  This seems to
    help keep people organized.
2.  Try to encourage people to bring CB's.  This greatly livens up tours.
    When our club (SEATTLE) trekked to Boulder for VTR in '90, CB's provided
    good entertainment and sightseeing tutorials.  For local tours, CB's help
    help keep everyone informed of upcoming stops, and also avoid confusion
    if a tourmember has to bow out early.  Agree on at least 1 alternate
    channel.
3.  Encourage drivers who are slower to drive in front.  This keeps the
    pack tighter.  The back of the pack usually has to play catch-up,
    and actually ends up driving faster than the front.  This can be
    unnerving for those drivers who prefer a more even pace.
4.  If possible, pre-drive the route for time and road-condition information.
    One tour I led ran into summertime construction, and the marked detour
    route included a 10 mile stretch of gravel road. Ouch!
5.  Emphasize: keeping the pack tight and group turn signalling.  For those
    who don't bring CB's, and need to pull over during the tour (daytime),
    we've used the rule of "headlights on means trouble".

                   Have fun!

                         Greg Meboe  MEBOE@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu
                         Dept of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
                         Washington State University   Pullman, Wash.
                         67 Spit-6 (Daily)    74 TR-6 (In Progress)