Re: brake bias, wire-wheels

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: brake bias, wire-wheels
From: mws1@admin01.osi.COM (Matt Silveira x257)
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 94 08:07:55 PDT
For those folks interested in wire wheel restoration and brake items
here may be some interesting news.

Wheels:

Look in Hemmings or the back of a R&T or C&D for a company called
"Dayton Wheel".  They have all the goods to rebuild, replace, or retrue
your Dunlop wire wheels, the splines, and even nice, clean knock-offs
to replace those ugly octagonal ones.  (And if you are the guy or gal
who likes nice wide wheels for low pro rubber, ask them to send you
info on the 72 spoke wires to fit MGCs and bigger jags.  Yes, they will
fit your hib splines just fine but they are stronger and albiet,
heavier.)   Remember, the heavier the wheel, (and spokes are heavy)
increase unsprung weight and thus reduce suspension performance.
Furthermore, 60 spoke wires aren't really made for "sporting driving"
as they can flex and get out of true.

Brakes:

Again, (and I don't know if this made it in my first posting) there is
a complete discussion on braking and brake balancing in Joe Huffaker's
book on preparing MGBs for competition.  I have the book and will
supply copies on request to those who would like it.

However, as I recall, a company called Kelsey-Hayes makes a suitable,
if not simple brake balancing device that can be *easily* retro-fitted
to any car.  Look for it at reputable parts jobbers or speed shops near
you.