MGB and Spitfire Questions

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB and Spitfire Questions
From: John Trindle <jtrindle@ftf03.larc.nasa.gov>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 94 11:16:17 -0400
Hi Folks:

First... rebuilt lever shocks.  I get stuff from Seven Enterprises since
it is just down the road.  I replaced my two front shocks (MGB) for $69.95
each plus $45 core.  I get the core back almost immediately, because of
proximity, so that is nice.

A message from Don Mathis on June 7 listed rebuilt lever shocks at $54.95
from Motorxtras/TS Imported Automotive.

The car is MUCH different with operating shocks... and half the oil leakage
is gone! <g>.

Second:  This coming weekend I get custody of the Spitfire (title now
transferred to my soon-to-be-ex-girlfriend, but I'm the only one who
works on it, so it's still in my tagline, so there!) for some work.
I am putting in an ABS transmission tunnel, setting up a new soft top,
and (hopefully) making the jets on the carbs not stick down in the rich
("choke" pulled) position.  1) What should I use to sound-dampen/heat
insulate the transmission tunnel?  2) The needles are pretty well centered,
(the dashpots go up and down just fine) what can I do to free up the jets?
They pop right in by hand.  3) Any tricks for putting on a Spit soft top?

Third:  Now the MGB is using a quart of oil every 100-150 miles.  Is it
just me, or do all LBCs do this after they have been sitting for 4+ years
and have been started up?  We were very careful on the B to oil things up,
and put in new fluids and plugs, before startup (unlike the poor Spit!)
Also, compression is about 120 on all 4 cylinders.  There is some goop on
the bottom of the oilpan but I can't see it being 1 qt/100-150 miles.

Thanks again.  As I plow through the back digests I may quit asking all
these FAQs! <g>

John Trindle

73 MGB                jtrindle@ftf03.larc.nasa.gov or
88 RX-7 GXL C/Stock   70303.3506@compuserve.com
69 Spitfire           IFT-PRO/ISS for FS5/FSPLAN

"2nd Law of Errordynamics: Errors flow from bug-ridden to bug-free areas.
Disorder of the system as a whole tends toward a maximum.  This means that
at some point your car or program will become unfixable and have to be
either rebuilt from the ground up or abandoned. - JMT"