lever shocks rebuild

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: lever shocks rebuild
From: Frank Condelli <ad793@freenet.carleton.ca>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 1994 05:56:19 -0400 (EDT)
had the same incilnation as Noah.  I have taken these monsters apart and
they are really quite simple.  The problem arises in three major areas.

one: if the shock has been run dry for some time most likely the the
shaft has worn on the soft metal housing bearing surface.  Since the
bearing surface is the body of the shock itself there is not much you cand
do other that scrap it.  I suppose that the shaft could be machined and
the bearing surface be relined but I think we are talking much more that
the rebuild are being sold for theses days.

two: if the shaft and surface bearings seem ok then the two outer seals
need to be replaced.  Now maybe someone out there has had more experience
than i have but these seals ane NOT common and I could not locate them
ANYWHERE.  Now, they must be available from some source as the "official"
rebuilders of these things and the manufacturerer of these things gets
them somewhere.  So........ if you can get your hands on these seals the
repacement is fairly simple.  Pop the old ones out and tap the new ones in !

three: The piston.  It has some sort od wiered o-ring on it for a seal and
that to presents the same dilema.  If you can find this o-ring your in
business, if not as in my case buy yourself a set of rebuilds from the guy
who "does" have the o-rings.

This is what I have to offer on lever shock rebuilding.  Not the ultimate
word I'm sure.  I'd be glad to hear from others with more expertise in
this area.

Cheers,

Frank

--