Re: Re[2]: MGB Shocks

To: tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil, british-cars@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: Re[2]: MGB Shocks
From: Simon.Matthews@tiuk.ti.com
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 94 16:37:57 BST
> From LESNYD@ccmail.monsanto.com Mon Jun 13 15:33:56 1994
> From: LESNYD@ccmail.monsanto.com
> Date: Mon, 13 Jun 94 09:30:27 CST
> To: tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil (Marcus Tooze), british-cars@autox.team.net,
>         Simon.Matthews@tiuk.ti.com
> Subject: Re[2]: MGB Shocks
>

> :> I just looked in the latest edition of MG Enthusiast and saw exchange
> :> MGB shocks listed at UKL (UK Pounds) 12.5 (front) and 11.5 (rear). This
> :>includes
> :> VAT (sales tax).
> :>
> :> Although it might not be worthwhile shipping shocks across the Altantic,
>it
> :> might be worth giving them a call to see if they would sell the bits needed
> :> to re-build. Number to dial is 011-44-945-700-500, or fax on
> :>011-44-945-700-130.
> :
> :I must disagree....it is worth shipping the parts across the ocean. It may
>cost
> :double in shipping costs, but you will still save a bundle of cash. I've said
> :many times before on the list that the prices charged by places in the US are
> :ridiculous. Recent examples from the list include:
> :1) rebuilt tranny for GT6 UK: $390  Viccy Brit: $999
>
> That was either me or Dan Parslow. We both bought GT6/Vitesse gearboxes from
> England. The cost was actually $344, and that INCLUDED shipping and core. The
> $999 price from Vicky Brit does NOT include core ($150) or shipping (Lord
>knows
> how much that would be!) from Kansas City.
>
> If the prices listed above include VAT, you can subtract 17.5% from that
>price,
> since that is how much VAT is, and foreign buyers do NOT pay VAT! So you're
> looking at about 10 pounds each, or about $15, and even if shipping is another
> $15 each, you're getting them for $30 each!
>
> >Marcus

Well, the number is there for anyone to phone. The company name is MGB Hive.

Also, just to be accurate, subtract 15% from the total price to obtain the
base (no VAT) price (100 pounds is approx. 85% of 117.5 pounds).

I did once have a go at the N. American Sales manager at Moss for the difference
in prices -- I met him at a classic car show in Bimingham (UK) and pointed out
rear lens units on sale for UKL 9, when I had just paid $26 for the same item
from Moss in California!

Regards,
       Simon