Re: Light bulbs and heat

To: Simon.Matthews@tiuk.ti.com
Subject: Re: Light bulbs and heat
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 94 8:36:48 PDT
> I don't like to be pickey about this, but there should be less heat, not more.
> If the bulbs are rated at the same wattage (ie. energy input) and a greater
> proportion of that energy is emitted as visible light (ie. they are brighter),
> then it follows that a smaller proportion must be emitted as heat.
>
> Simple really!
>
> Simon Matthews

Simon,

As a EE you're argument seems reasonable to me, but I never claimed that
the bulbs were rated at the same wattage and it's the bulb's
manufacturer, not me, that claims they get hotter.  Then there is the
empirical evidence:  they DO get hotter.

Didn't we have this same discussion on the list a few months back?

Roland