Re: last word on ordering from the UK

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil
Subject: Re: last word on ordering from the UK
From: jamesa@dougal.logica.co.uk (James Arnold)
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 94 13:39:50 GMT
>I had a lengthy and informative discussion with the secretary-come-front-desk-
>girl-come-experienced-GT6-mechanic. She said there are basically far more
>manufacturers of parts in the UK, plus, there are more salvage parts from other
>cars not availlable in the US (Marinas etc etc) for tranny stuff. She was
>worried about me putting the GT6 engine in the Spit because my insurance would
>shoot up as it's _GASP_ a 2 litre engine. I reminded her that in the United
>States, a 6 cylinder 2 liter engine is merely 6 thimbles moving up and down in
>a rather insignifcant piece of iron. I didn't tell her the most common motor
>here was the 350, or that 500CI monster blocks are farely easily available.

While it is undoubtedly true that in the US things are generally bigger
(in the automotive deptarment), I think that the lady in question was probably
representling the sort of view shown by UK insurance companies, which
basically goes:
1. Modified car
2. Must be a bad risk
3. Don't cover it/ Charge silly money.

Several years ago I was going to put an 1300 engine into my Mini 1100.  Even
here in the UK we don't consider 1300cc to be excessively large. I
gave up the idea cos most insurance companies would not cover me at all
and those that would wanted a small fortune.  Instead I brought a Rover
3.5 litre which was far cheaper to insure.

James "Size isn't everything" Arnold.