Re: Best Place to order BSF wrenches?

To: mike@setanta.demon.co.uk (Mike Causer)
Subject: Re: Best Place to order BSF wrenches?
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 94 8:25:13 PDT

> >  Moss sells a cheapie set of open-end Whitworth.  A bit clumsy but okay
> >  if you your car only has a few and access is good.
>
> No, no, no.  Whitworth have different head sizes to BSF, the spanners will not
> fit!
>
> I'd be amazed if Moss didn't also sell BSF/BSC (coarse) spanners also, they
>have the
> same head sizes and are pretty well all you need for post-1945 LBCs.  If you
> want the best in tools, Snap-On cover all of them.

They're certainly sized differently but they do fit.  I use my set
fairly regularly.  I suggested these tools because they are cheap and if
you only have occasional need they'll get you by.  Definitely Snap-On
are better tools; and an order of magnitude more expensive.

When I talked to a Snap-On rep about Whitworth I was lead to believe
that it sub set of BSF/BSC and that Whitworth had sizes that
corresponded dimensionally but were marked differently.  That seems to
be the case, at least for my car, because I always seem to be able to
find a Whitworth in my set that fits the non SAE fasteners.

Roland