Spitfire Overheating

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (british cars)
Subject: Spitfire Overheating
From: ajb@oasis.icl.co.uk (Adam Buckley)
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 1994 17:15:28 +0100 (BST)
With the much improved (and not likely to last long) weather we are having in
the UK recently I have noticed something a little irksome on my 1500 Spitfire.

When it gets caught up in traffic or stands idling for a while, it will start
to cough and splutter. The temperature guage may rise slightly or not at all
so I am led to believe that the carbs must be getting hot and vapourising.

Any views/symptons/advice/been-there-seen-it from anyone ?

The exhausts are stainless (BELL) and the carbs have a pair of K&N filters,
there is a simple reflective heat shield between them.

I will try a little test this weekend and leave it idling on the drive with
the bonnet up.

Thanks, Adam.