Abilene Gran Prix Conclusio

To: "Scions of Lucas" <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Abilene Gran Prix Conclusio
From: "Dave Lapham" <Dave_Lapham@oakqm3.sps.mot.com>
Date: 18 Jun 1994 12:01:00 U
                      Abilene Gran Prix Conclusion

THE CONCLUSION OF YESTERDAY'S STORY --

When we last saw the Healey, it had made it through Saturday's
practice and race, which was more than several of the other
vintage car drivers could say.

  In the Sunday race, I started roughly in the middle of the pack
based on my qualifying time that morning.  However, a little
explaining is in order.  There was some confusion regarding when
the Vintage qualifying session would be, and only seven of 23 cars
made it out in time to get enough laps in (three minimum) to
officially qualify for the race.  I arrived just in time to get
almost one lap in.  Since I wasn't able to complete an entire lap
I started the lap timing sequence but didn't get to come around
again and finish it.  Timing and Scoring manually reset the time
after it had run for several minutes, which then indicated I had
averaged about seven and three-quarters miles per hour around
the track.  Fred Crowley was in the same situation, and his
qualifying time indicated he had only averaged seven and a half
MPH, so I started in front of him.  We joked that my longer legs
allowed me to push/pedal faster!  Fred passed me fairly early in
the race.  His 3000 out accelerates my 100-6 by a noticeable
amount.  Eventually I will need to do a little engine work to
become more competitive, although for now I'm pleased just to be
learning the ropes.  At this point the primary limiting factor
is still the driver!  (Let's see, I need a hotter cam, some domed
pistons, shave the head, lighten the flywheel, go to a tri-carb
set-up, get a better driver, hmmmmm that should do it.)
  The Sunday race was quite exciting for me.  I got in a duel with
a Formula Vee for several laps.  I chased him around the track
like a lawyer after an ambulance before finally out-braking him
into a hairpin.  However, because I had to cut inside of him to do
it, I took a slower line out of the corner.  The Vee, which had
taken the normal line, exited the corner at a higher speed and
passed me back on the straight.  On the next lap I was able to
get around him again on another turn and make it stick.  I
finished several hundred yards ahead of him.  I didn't get a
copy of the Sunday race results, but I'm sure I improved over
Saturday.
  The racing tires made a very measurable difference in the
cornering ability of the car.  The tires were so sticky, you had
to put talcum powder on your hands before you touched them, or
else you couldn't let go!  They made a Tar Baby seem like a
lubricant!  They pulled me out of a couple of turns where I was
sure I was heading off the course and into the weeds
(agricultural racing in the words of the announcer).
  Now that I've been through competition school and a couple of
additional events, I believe I've improved quite a bit.  I still
have much to learn, and need a lot more practice, but that's
the enjoyable part.  I'm ready and eager to go racing again.