Unleaded (18V890) Engines...

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Unleaded (18V890) Engines...
From: Jules@learnlink.emory.edu (Sean P. Murphy)
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 1994 22:20:03 EST
Does anyone have any experience with dismantling 1977+ B engines?  I pulled
one from my parts car and am in the process of pulling it apart for a
rebuild.  I'd never seen the cup-style pistons before, so it surprised me a
little.  I am currently baffled as to how to remove the connecting rods and
main bearing enclosures.  The nuts on them are all patterned and of bizarre
sizes.  Is there a BL special tool #XXXXX for this job, or am I just going
about it wrong?  Also, can the engine mount brackets from a '73 car be
fitted directly so as to mount it in my '73 body or is there a special
adaptor necessary?

BTW, I was travelled in rural Georgia this weekend and saw a nice little
'73 B with wires sitting in one of the "backyard junkyards" in the middle
of nowhere.  Unfortunately, it was crumpled in the front end, which is
where I could use the parts.  Nice wires, though.  Oh, for storage space...

/========/     Sean Murphy, LearnLink Administrator
 !! !! !!      Internet/Telnet: Jules@learnlink.emory.edu
 !! !! !!      Phone: (404)/727-2259
/========/     For information, mail Info@learnlink.emory.edu