Re: Unleaded (18V890) Engines...

To: sol <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Unleaded (18V890) Engines...
From: Randy Wilson <randy@taylor.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 1994 23:21:00 -0400 (EDT)

> Does anyone have any experience with dismantling 1977+ B engines?  I pulled
> one from my parts car and am in the process of pulling it apart for a
> rebuild.  I'd never seen the cup-style pistons before, so it surprised me a
> little.  I am currently baffled as to how to remove the connecting rods and
> main bearing enclosures.  The nuts on them are all patterned and of bizarre
> sizes.  Is there a BL special tool #XXXXX for this job, or am I just going
> about it wrong?  Also, can the engine mount brackets from a '73 car be
> fitted directly so as to mount it in my '73 body or is there a special
> adaptor necessary?

 The main cap bolts are 3/4", six point; standard stuff. The rod cap nuts
are 1/2" twelve point.

 To swap 18V engines between pre - and post- buggy bumper cars, you need to
change the two engine mount brackets, and the front engine plate. The ears
on the plate where the brackets attach are in different locations. There is
only one other minor "gotcha". You must use crank, water pump, alternator,
and air pump pulleys that are matched. The change from small to big pulleys
happened at the 77 model year. If you change the pulley size on the engine,
you will need to change the timing cover; especially if you're going from
small to big pulleys. The small pulley timing pointers will interfere with
the big pulley.

   Randy
     randy@taylor.infi.net