Inseparable exhaust

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Inseparable exhaust
From: "Dan Parslow, x2556" <DJP@ALPHA.SUNQUEST.COM>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 1994 10:39:53 -0700 (MST)
Dear list,

My Vitesse 6 has an exhaust downpipe that will not separate from the
manifold. I've tried penetrating oil, driving screwdrivers and nails
between the flanges, and general pounding and swearing.  I can't get them
to admit they're two different pieces of metal.   There's a large copper
gasket sandwiched between them, and all I can do is tear up the edges
of this.

I was doing this in preparation for removing the engine, and
ended up just unbolting the manifold from the head and pulling
the engine out with the exhaust system still in the car.  Now the
whole exhaust system (which has no other joins!) is sitting on my
carport floor looking like some bizarre six-headed cobra.

Any ideas on how to get the exhaust pipe off without damaging the
manifold?

dan parslow  djp@alpha.sunquest.com